Alberto Maria Segre, Ph.D.
I am primarily interested in distributed algorithms for solving optimization problems. Much of my past work has focused on problems from the biological sciences, including linkage analysis problems from statistical genetics, and protein structure prediction techniques. I have also worked on parallel search algorithms such as A*, αβ-minimax, Davis-Loveland-Putnam, and applications of these algorithms to both standard AI problems and economic problems such as combinatorial auction winner determination.
More recently, I have been interested in solving optimization problems in computational epidemiology, such as optimal location placement for sentinel surveillance, optimal vaccination strategies, and so on.
- H. Jang, S. Justice, P. M. Polgreen, A. M. Segre, D. K. Sewell, and S. V. Pemmaraju, “Evaluating Architectural Changes to Alter Pathogen Dynamics in a Dialysis Unit,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining, 2019.
- D. K. Sewell, J. E. Simmering, S. Justice, S. V. Pemmaraju, A. M. Segre, and P. M. Polgreen, “Estimating the Attributable Disease Burden and Effects of Inter-Hospital Patient Sharing on Clostridium difficile Infections,” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, pp. 656-661, 2019.
- M. T. Lash, J. Slater, P. M. Polgreen, and A. M. Segre, “21 Million Opportunities: A 19 Facility Investigation of Factors Affecting Hand Hygiene Compliance via Linear Predictive Models,” Journal of Healthcare Informatics Research, 2019.
- R. S. Zahr, C. A. Anthony, P. M. Polgreen, J. E. Simmering, C. J. Goerdt, A. B. Hoth, M. L. Miller, M. Suneja, A. M. Segre, B. L. Carter, and L. A. Polgreen, “A Texting-Based Blood Pressure Surveillance Intervention,” Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 2019.
- S. Pai, S. V. Pemmaraju, P. M. Polgreen, A. M. Segre, and D. K. Sewell, “Spatiotemporal Clustering of CDI at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (Abstract),” Open Forum Infectious Diseases, vol. 5, iss. S1, p. S188-189, 2018.
- A. C. Miller, I. Singh, E. Koehler, and P. M. Polgreen, “A Smartphone-Driven Thermometer Application for Real-time Population- and Individual-Level Influenza Surveillance,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 67, iss. 3, pp. 388-397, 2018.
- R. Butler, M. N. Monsalve, G. W. Thomas, T. Herman, A. M. Segre, P. M. Polgreen, and M. Suneja, “Estimating Time Physicians and Other Healthcare Workers Spend with Patients in an Intensive Care Unit Using a Sensor Network,” The American Journal of Medicine, 2018.
- L. J. Carr, A. L. Gremaud, J. E. Simmering, N. J. Evans, J. F. Cremer, A. M. Segre, L. A. Polgreen, and P. M. Polgreen, “Gamifying Accelerometer Use Increases Physical Activity Levels of Sedentary Office Workers,” Journal of the American Heart Association, vol. 7, iss. 13, 2018.
- L. A. Polgreen, C. A. Anthony, L. J. Carr, J. E. Simmering, N. J. Evans, E. D. Foster, A. M. Segre, J. F. Cremer, and P. M. Polgreen, “The Effect of Automated Text Messaging and Goal Setting on Pedometer Adherence and Physical Activity in Patients with Diabetes,” PLOS One, vol. 13, iss. 5, 2018.
- Y. H. Wu, E. Stangl, O. Chipara, S. S. Hasan, A. Welhaven, and J. Oleson, “Characteristics of Real-World Signal-to-Noise Ratios and Speech Listening Situations of Older Adults with Mild-to-Moderate Hearing Loss,” Ear and Hearing, 2017.