All on-campus and off-campus positions will be advertised for at least four weeks. Students should also refer to the UI's Student Information and Employment Assistance webpage for other job information. If you represent a company and would like to post a job offering, please contact Allison Rockwell.
Student Employment Opportunity with CLAS Linux Group: Be a crucial part of our team and get some real-world experience! The CLAS Technology Services Linux Group is hiring a student worker who will assist with IT related projects as well as have ownership of their own special projects. This is a learn-on-the-job position, students will work along-side IT professionals for training and coaching as well as share their own work at team meetings. Routine work may include installing software, writing scripts and code, generating reports, supporting faculty with research projects, unboxing and imaging computers and devices, moving equipment, miscellaneous data entry and office work, and other duties as required. Special projects will be developed individually with you to build your resume and give you real-world experience. Your special project could be a software application, website, hardware build, you name it. The only restriction is your own imagination. Requirements: Familiarity with at least one object-oriented programming language (Python, C++, Java, etc) | Ability to work and learn in a self-guided manner | Work remotely (from home or otherwise, equipment may be provided) as well as some on-campus/in-person shifts | Ability to lift 25 pounds | 6 months previous work experience | Must work be available 10-20 hours per week during business hours (8am-5pm, M-F). Preferred, but not required, skills: Linux experience | Familiarity with basic editors (e.g. nano and/or vi) | Experience coding in Python | Familiarity with github/gitlab | Interest in academic research and/or research support. Applications submitted by November 29th, 2021 will receive first consideration. Please apply with resume and 3 professional or personal references with name, email address, and phone number. The previous two students who held this position were recruited (one to a full time job and one to a long-term internship) based on their experience working with the CLAS Linux Group. It is a tremendous learning experience and resume building opportunity. [11/12/21]
Immediate-start research undergraduate position available with flexible hours between 8am and 6pm. 10-20 hrs/week during the semester and opportunity for more hours during breaks. Position will pay $12/hr. This position is to support the work being done in the Department of Radiology Advanced Pulmonary Physiomic Imaging Laboratory. The position will primarily be in supporting the labs Postgres database, data organization/data transfer, and improving the integrity of the database. These tasks will comprise of writing SQL queries, navigating servers in a LINUX environment, developing scripts to be run in Windows and LINUX. Technological consistency, reproducibility, and general attention to detail are all essential tools to ensure precision in data collection. Required skills: University of Iowa Student position. We are seeking a current student who is motivated, organized, and an independent worker with strong verbal and written communication skills. Experience with SQL, BASH, Powershell, and C# knowledge desired. Apply on Handshake. [10/5/2021]
- Professor Harata, Carver College of Medicine, seeks a motivated undergraduate student who is enthusiastic about data analysis in neuroscience research. Specifically, we are seeking a student who will apply quantitative analysis and digital signal processing. The experimental data will be acquired from the cultured mammalian brain cells and tissue specimens, using fluorescence microscopy and electrophysiology-based methods. The student should be good at quantitative skills including mathematics, computer programming and/or statistics. The student should be meticulous and reliable, and motivated to learn a variety of new analysis techniques independently. Background knowledge of neuroscience is advantageous but it is not absolutely required. Depending on the contribution, the student may be given the opportunity to become a co-author on publications and posters. Time Commitment:A minimum effort of 9 hours per week (3 credit hours if taking academic credit) during the semester will be expected. Generally, the work is performed Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. in the BSB. Compensation: Volunteer or Academic Credit. Start Date and Timeline: Immediately. Full job description here. [11/23/2021]
- For students pursuing a career in web design and computer science, the Iowa Reading Research Center in the UI College of Education is hiring a part-time student front-end/UX web designer. This job provides job duties directly related to your future career. The center is currently interviewing for this position, so apply now if you are interested! Please see the brief position description below and see the full description. Email email@example.com if you have any questions. Front-End/UX Web Designer (#5433749) Responsibilities: Modify and customize website/user interface by using HTML/CSS, perform accessibility audits, and other related tasks. See job posting for full responsibilities. Qualifications: Working experience in web design utilizing HTML/CSS, familiarity with utilizing or implementing Bootstrap, familiarity with WCAG 2.11aa web accessibility standards. See job posting for full qualifications. We are looking for a student who would be available beyond this semester. [9/30/21]
Planful Learning and Assessment LLC is looking for a Computer Scientist to serve as a consultant approximately 10 hours a week. This person needs the following:
- PhD in Data Science, Computer Science, or related field.
- 4+ years of Data Science and Machine Learning experience
- Proficiency in Python
- 1+ years experience with natural language understanding (NLU) concepts and experience in implementing NLU use cases
- 1+ years experience with natural language generation (NLG) concepts and experience in implementing NLG use cases
- Proficiency with Machine Learning concepts and ability to implement Supervised models.
Get hands on experience managing AD, Windows 10, Office365, Exchange, Skype/Teams, and many more technologies. The University of Iowa Center for Advancement (UICA) is seeking to fill "IT Help Desk Clerk - Student" position at its site; this position should also be available on Handshake.
Job Category: Student | Requisition Number: ITASS001324 | HOURS PER WEEK: Must be available to work a minimum of 12 hours per week. Flexible hours working around your school schedule, between 8:00am - 5:00pm M-F, with occasionally nights and weekends. Can work up to 40 hours per week during breaks and summer. START DATE: This position begins in August, continuing through the academic school year, and may continue up until graduation. QUALIFICATIONS: Must be a currently enrolled University of Iowa student (full-time; minimum 12 credit hours). Up to one year of work-related experience and familiarity with computer equipment is preferred. Applicant should have some experience installing/upgrading/removing software programs in a windows environment. DESCRIPTION: The University of Iowa Center for Advancement is looking for a student who is interested in assisting with Help Desk support for 260 employees within the Levitt Center, Advancement Services Building, and remote users. This position provides general desktop support, primarily for a windows desktop environment. Will be responsible for answering Help Desk phones and using ticketing software to track and resolve incident reports. Additional duties include: Installing/upgrading drivers such as for printers, scanners, or other desktop devices; installing, configuring, and maintaining desktop and network printers; fixing virus and malware-related issued for users; providing support for web browser and Office365 applications; building and deploying images on desktop computers; assisting with set-up and installation, equipment inventory, system cabling, and repair of computer equipment. [8/5/2021]
UI CEE|ECE|IIHR's Ibrahim Demir is looking for a full-stack web developer for a new project. Please see job duties and qualifications at uiowa.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/application-developer-specified-term-10677. Please contact him with any questions. [2/25/2021]
Edwards Creative in Milan, Illinois is seeking an Interactive Media Programmer. The desired applicant will be working collaboratively with a team of UI/UX designers and engineers on developing custom interactive projects from concept to completion. The applicant will work on programming the back end of interactive content ranging from touchscreen interface programs, RFID implementation and game-based interactives to higher-end immersive environments consisting of audio and video integration in a wide variety of corporate and museums settings. More in full job description. Please send resumes to Director of Interactive Media, Michael Edwards. Questions? Please contact 309-756-0199. [10/14/21]
Great West Casualty Company is a leader in the trucking insurance industry and a subsidiary of publicly traded Old Republic Insurance Group headquartered in South Sioux City, Nebraska (Sioux City, Iowa metro area). We have been in business for over 65 years and have one of the largest information technology teams in the Siouxland area approaching 100 employees. We have IT opportunities in our various departments of Systems Development, Technical Services Server and Networking teams, Desktop Support, IT Security, Business Intelligence, Data and Analytics and a dedicated IT Project Office department. Currently we are looking for a Java Developer to join our agile development team of 40 employees. We are looking for upcoming December 2021 Masters or Bachelors graduates who have also had some strong development internship experiences who might be a good fit for this role. Apply Here. These positions offer a hybrid work schedule – 2 days working from home and 3 days working in office. [11/23/21]
Immortagen Inc has an opening for an entry-level of software developer and analyst to join a team of scientists responsible for the research, development, and optimization of our diagnostic products. The ideal candidate must be able to work in a collaborative research environment and to contribute to the innovative work for our product development. We are willing to train new graduates who are motivated to learn new concepts and develop innovative software for healthcare and diagnostics. We will assist international applicants in obtaining work authorization. This is a remote work position (i.e., work from home) with all team, one-on-one, and training meetings being held virtually (Zoom, and Microsoft Teams). Responsibilities: Learn and perform analyses of DNA sequencing data produced by massively parallel next generation sequencing (also called bioinformatics) | Execute software to perform supervised analysis of genomic sequence data using existing software and algorithms for genomic research purposes | Collaborate with other developers, analysists, and scientists (computer scientists, statisticians, cancer biologists and oncologists) | Generate diagnostic reports in both English and Chinese | Requirements: Bachelor or Master's in Engineering, Computer science, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Genomics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or related field; relevant experiences are preferred | Willingness to learn and understand the biological data, clinical data and genomic annotation | Fluency in programming and scripting languages. Python is preferred | Mastery of the Mandarin language (Speaking, Reading, & Writing) Preferred Skills and Experience: Experience working in HPC and parallel computing environments as well as familiarity using UNIX-like systems and shell scripting | Familiarity with AWS cloud computing platform | Knowledge of biological / omic data formats (VCF, FASTQ, BAM) | Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are plus. Salary: Competitive Salary, Bonus, Equity Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental insurance. To apply, e-mail resume/vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit immortagen.com. [11/18/2021]
Internships & Co-Ops
The USGS CENTRAL MIDWEST WATER SCIENCE CENTER is seeking associate and undergraduate students working towards a degree in Information Technology to gain practical experience in computer programming and/or website support, etc.). As a Student Trainee (IT Support) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of Information Technology. Duties include (but are not limited to): Assisting with the installation of new and revised software packages and hardware maintenance | Working with clients and customers in providing IT support using various computer equipment and software | Providing routine updates of various databases, web interfaces, and public facing web-sites | Writing, maintaining, and modifying software scripts | Applications must be submitted via USAjobs: USAJOBS - Job Announcement or via Handshake. [11/15/21]
- Sprayer Mods is seeking undergraduate students with skills in python, numpy, data science, or circuits for Fall/Spring internship. Intern will assist designers in creating high-quality machine vision models. Internship will be paid, with pay depending on skills and previous experience. Interested applicants can send their resume to Holly Bennett, CTO, email@example.com [7/7/2021]
Regional companies, including Collins, Deere & Co., Pearson, and State Farm, seek UI CS students nearly every year. Please contact the Department to find out more about such opportunities.
- Cedar Rapids non-profit NewBoCo [for its Delta V Code School] is looking for: a PT/FT Code School Teaching Assistant [11/25/19; ongoing]
- Student Life Marketing + Design (M+D) is hiring talented and enthusiastic web developers to work on exciting and challenging new projects and web applications for the Division of Student Life and other clients on campus. More details here and at M+D website. [11/25/19; ongoing]
- ESPN has several open Software Engineering positions in the Consumer Software Engineering Department, as well as senior positions for candidates with more experience, to be found at firstname.lastname@example.org or disneycareers.com. They can also contact Carolina Gil -- HR Business Partner - Technology -- directly at Carolina.email@example.com. [ongoing]
- Garmin often has Full Time software engineer positions open. If interested, please apply at careers-us.garmin.com/us/en and upload your resume and unofficial transcript. [ongoing]
- Intel Corporation is actively accepting applications for Internships and New Grad opportunities. Intel has positions on an ongoing basis at their career site. [ongoing]
- Cedar Rapids non-profit NewBoCo [for its Delta V Code School] is looking for a PT/FT Code School Teaching Assistant [ongoing]
- Open Access Technology International, Inc. (OATI) has this full-time software developer position open. If interested, email your updated resume to Talent@oati.net. Full list of job listings here. Please look under "Internships & Co-ops" for details on internships also available. [ongoing]
- SPAWAR Systems Center Pacific (SSC PAC), the Navy’s premier research lab, is seeking applicants for its "New Professional (NP) Program: Scientists & Engineers." Applicants must be within 9 months of graduation. More information here. If you have questions, please contact Lisa Cortez, Workforce Recruitment Office, SPAWAR Systems Center Pacific; firstname.lastname@example.org; phone (619) 553-5442; Fax: (619) 553-6873. [ongoing]
Internships & Co-Ops
- ACT offers an internship program (Scroll down to "Summer Internship Program"). If you have questions, please contact Mark Steckel, Data Management (319-341-2983): [ongoing]
- City Internships provides structured Global Internship Programs for students seeking to gain experience in banking and financial services, art, fashion and design, marketing, advertising and PR, consulting and professional services, entertainment, media and journalism, law and politics and lastly, technology and engineering. Applications to the global internship programs in London, Paris, New York, Boston, Washington D.C., Miami, Chicago, Austin, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sydney & Hong Kong., can be submitted now via city-internships.com/apply." If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Lewis Talbot, Global Program Director. Students can book a slot to talk to the Student Experience Team. [ongoing]
- Garmin often has software engineer intern positions. If interested, please apply at careers-us.garmin.com/us/en and upload your resume and unofficial transcript. Please look under "Off-Campus Jobs" for details on full-time position also available. [ongoing]
- The Uncubed x IBM Fast-Track has is the latest partnership from The Cognitive Computing Odyssey, this time to help fast-track students through the internship and full-time application process (full list of available roles here). Students who apply and advance will have a point of contact they can always reach out to if they have any questions. [ongoing]
- Intel Corporation actively accepts applications for Internships and New Grad opportunities. They are looking for someone to help them develop web-based tools for global public health decision support. More info on this broad range of BS, MS and PhD opportunities here. [ongoing]
- John Deere advertises for IT intern positions. Here is a job description and directions on how to apply. If you have questions about the position, you can email Scott Valleroy. To be considered, students are required to create an online profile and apply through Deere's website. [ongoing]
- MathWorks has the following student job opening: On Campus Position (Iowa City, Iowa) MATLAB Student Ambassador [ongoing]
- The Institute for Broadening Participation (IBP) offers Paid Summer Research Programs. Most programs offer both a stipend and housing and travel support. Programs range across all STEM disciplines and all areas of the country! 570+ programs for undergraduates | 60+ programs for graduate students. Use advanced search page to filter programs by multiple criteria. Contact them with your level of study and disciplinary interests for help finding a program: email@example.com [ongoing]
- The Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowship, now offered in Georgia, Indiana and New Jersey, recruits current seniors, recent grads, and alumni with backgrounds in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) to teach in high-need schools. As a WW Teaching Fellow, you will have extraordinary opportunities: innovative, world-class teacher preparation, a full school year of experience in real-world classrooms, and ongoing mentoring support. In addition, Fellows receive a generous stipend ($30,000-32,000) to complete a master's degree program. [ongoing]