Ahead of Fall and Spring semester our students will receive an opportunity to apply to become a tutor for computer science/informatics courses.
We generally need more tutors than are available. Please consider being one.
If you currently tutor for computer science and/or informatics classes; please note that remaining on our list signifies your acceptance of our ethical standards for tutors.
To be approved as a tutor for Computer Science or Informatics undergraduate courses, candidates are expected to have a grade of B+ or better in the CS:xxxx courses they wish to tutor. Students should contact tutors directly. All arrangements with regard to payments, frequency of meeting, etc. are left up to the tutor and the tutee.
Students may, of course, always seek assistance from their assigned course teaching assistants: contact details can be found in the People pages.
Note: Students cannot tutor courses for which they are currently TAs (identified as XXXX).
|Name||Phone||Approved Classes (CS:XXXX)|
|Anwar, Yumnaemail@example.com||903-787-1740||1210, 2110, 2420, 4400|
|1110, 1210, 2230, 3620|
|Borchard, Ethanfirstname.lastname@example.org||319-768-8729||2230, 2820|
|Egger, Brandonemail@example.com||319-640-8865||1210, 2210|
|Grimes, TJfirstname.lastname@example.org||1110, 1210, 2210, 2230, 2630, 2820, 3330, 3820, 4330|
|Gu, Qiaoyuemail@example.com||319-569-9718||1110, 1210|
|Han, Changzefirstname.lastname@example.org||1210, 2820, 4350, 4400, 4440, 4980 (Child-Computer Interaction)|
|Leaders, Henryemail@example.com||515-505-0560||1110, 2110, 2420, 2520|
|Michalski, Katiefirstname.lastname@example.org||2210, 2230|
|Postacchini, Gabeemail@example.com||331-998-3572||1210, 2210|
|Tran, Tinhfirstname.lastname@example.org||712-223-8018||1110, 2230|
|Zamba, Angeloemail@example.com||701-391-9133||2210, 2230, 2820|
|Zhang, Randyfirstname.lastname@example.org||309-750-7586||1210, 2210, 2230, 2630, 2820|
Code of Ethics
- I understand my role as a tutor is to guide students to do their own work using the best learning approach possible.
- I will provide honest feedback in the form of positive praise and/or constructive suggestions to students I serve in a manner beneficial to their overall learning.
- I will demonstrate faith in each student's learning abilities understanding my primary goal is helping them discover and develop skills needed to reach their desired educational outcomes.
- I understand my relationship to each student I tutor is professional and not personal.
- I will respect and be sensitive to students’ cultural background and personal value system; keeping in mind their personal dignity.
- I recognize I will not have answers to every question asked. Therefore, I will seek assistance in finding answers to the student's questions and/or directing the student to “how” and “where” appropriate resources are for the information needed.
- I will maintain accurate records of tutoring sessions to fulfill expectations & requirements which exemplify excellence in tutoring.
- I will respect each student's personal dignity at all times.
- I will be on time for tutoring all appointments understanding excellence does not compromise time nor make excuses.
- I will keep information about all students with whom I work confidential.
- I understand the ultimate goal is to assist students in discovering how he/she best learns. I will accomplish this by helping each student develop the skills needed to achieve their best educational outcome.
- I will share any concerns I have with the Computer Science Department.
- I recognize the win-win relationship tutoring fosters. I expect to learn along with each student I assist.
- I will keep current in both my subject area(s) and learning methodologies. This includes being willing and able to tutor using virtual technology (e.g., Zoom screensharing with a shared Google Document or Python Tutor).
- I will remain flexible to my approach to student learning, respectful of the various learning styles and preferences.
- I will share techniques for improving study skills with students; respecting their differing learning styles and preferences while exhibiting excellence in my approach to the content being tutored.
Adapted from the National Tutoring Association Tutor Code of Ethics; copyrighted by the National Tutoring Association, all rights reserved 2016.