Steve Goddard, Ph.D.
Steve Goddard is the former Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Iowa where he held the UI Alumni Association Dean's Chair. Prior to joining the faculty at Iowa in 2019, Goddard was the the John E. Olsson Professor of Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) and served in multiple administrative roles there, including Vice Chancellor for Research, Dean and Department Chair.
Prior to joining the faculty at UNL, Dr. Goddard worked in the computer industry for 13 years, including nine years as president of his own company. He received the B.A. degree in computer science and mathematics from the University of Minnesota, Duluth (1985) and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in computer science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1995, 1998).
Dr. Goddard's primary research interests are embedded, real-time, and distributed systems with emphases in cyber-physical systems and rate-based scheduling. He has published over 100 articles, including 10 patent applications, and received more than $22M in external funding for his research from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the Department of Defense (DoD) and the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Research Interests (Keywords)
Real-time and Embedded Systems, Wireless Networking, Cyber-physical Systems
Books Edited and Book Chapters
- Proceedings of the 27th Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems, Steve Goddard, editor. IEEE Computer Society, 2015.
- “Stochastic Modeling of Delay, Energy Consumption, and Lifetime,” Yunbo Wang, Mehmet C. Vuran, and Steve Goddard. Book chapter in The Art of Wireless Sensor Networks. Springer, New York, NY, 2014.
- IEEE International Conference on Embedded and Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications, Steve Goddard, Chin-Fu Kuo, Jongeun Lee, editors. IEEE Computer Society, 2012.
- “Design and Optimization for Embedded and Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications,” Jongeun Lee, Steve Goddard, and Chin-Fu Kuo, Journal of Systems Architecture, Editorial, 60(2):151, 2014.
- “Efficient Real-Time Divisible Load Scheduling,” Anwar Mamat, Ying Lu, Jitender Deogun, Steve Goddard, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 72(12):1603-1616, 2012.
- “Scheduling Real-Time Divisible Loads with Advance Reservations,” Anwar Mamat, Ying Lu, Jitender Deogun, Steve Goddard, Journal of Real-Time Systems, 48 (3): 264-293, March 2012.
- “Cross-layer Analysis of the End-to-end Delay Distribution in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Yunbo Wang, Mehmet C. Vuran and Steve Goddard, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 20 (1): 305- 318, January 2012. Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TNET.2011.2159845
Refereed and Peer Reviewed Conference Publications
- “STOOP: Stochastically-Dominant Access Point Selection in Enterprise WLANs,” Yu Bai, Mehmet Can Vuran, Demet Batur, and Steve Goddard, Proceedings of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Smart Computing (SMARTCOMP 2017), Hong Kong, China, May 2017, pp. 195 - 202.
- “Stochastic Performance Trade-offs in the Design of Real-Time Wireless Sensor Networks,” Yunbo Wang, Mehmet C. Vuran, and Steve Goddard, Proceedings of the Int. Conf. on Computing, Networking, and Communications (ICNC ’15), Anaheim, CA, February 2015, pp. 931 - 937.
- “Response Time Analysis of Hierarchical Scheduling: the Synchronized Deferrable Servers Approach,” Haitao Zhu, Steve Goddard, and Matthew B. Dwyer, Proceedings of the 32nd IEEE RealTime Systems Symposium, Vienna, Austria, December 2011, pp. 239-248.
- “Analysis of Event Detection Delay in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Yunbo Wang, Mehmet C. Vuran, and Steve Goddard, Proceedings IEEE INFOCOM 2011 (30th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications), Shanghai, China, April 2011, pp. 1296 - 1304.